TEDx Wolverhampton!

Me on the TEDx red spot - No, I didn't do a TED talk.
I only wish I was that good

Last weekend, I got the opportunity to work at a massive event - TEDx Wolverhampton. TEDx Wolverhampton was an entertaining and educational event that got the local people to share ideas and thoughts affecting the area. It was the first ever TEDx Wolverhampton, and I got the opportunity to volunteer as part of The STEM Response Team at the University of Wolverhampton.
And may I just say?

TEDx was amazing! It was such a great day at a really high-grade event with so many interesting acts.

The stage
If you are not familiar with TED or TEDx, I'll just explain why I was so excited to get involved. TED is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the notion of showing 'Ideas Worth Spreading'. It began as a four-day long conference in Califonia in the year, 1984. Now, TED is an international organisation that has conferences every year. TED conferences are normally high-brow events. They feature brilliant intellectual speakers like; Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, Bono and Professor Bryan Cox. Elon Musk and Professor Stephen Hawkings are also on this list.
TEDx at Wolverhampton didn't have any of these very big players. Instead, there was an amazing show-stopper act. The writer and performance poet - Dave Pitt. Dave Pitt has won several awards for his poems and been in other exhibitions such as The Edinburgh Fringe.

However, it wasn't a TED event. It was a TEDx event. 'TEDx' is a programme of regional self-organised TED events which brings the local people together to share those 'Ideas Worth Spreading'. This time TEDx's location was Wolverhampton!
This event was organised by people from this area. So of whom, I know very well. My colleague Zoe Mason was the production director and one of the hosts - Dr Martin Khechara, is my supervisor for my current job role (a microbiology lecturer at the University of Wolverhampton).

My Volunteering Experience

A collage of the photos that I took during the day,
That cake was lovely by the way - whoever made it, thanks!
This was the first ever TEDx in Wolverhampton and likewise, it was my first TEDx experience too. And for my first time, I got lucky! I was fully apart of the TEDx event. I helped to assemble goody bags, arranged the tables and fixed the bunting. It felt satisfying to be physically involved with the event. It was great to chat with the organisers, to see all the hard work which went into the talks and to just feel a part of a big team.

But, my main role was to do some 'science busking' within the breaks along with my co-worker for the day - Jon Wood. 'Science busking' is just a play on the magician performance. It is a changeable show filled with small science demonstrations which can be undertaken in minutes. Either Jon or myself would explain the science of the trick. Then we'd play along with the person's reactions to the trick. My favourite demonstrations involve starting a fire with steel wool and a battery. Or any display which involves a balloon... And then, forcing a skewer through it!

It was enjoyable being involved with TEDx Wolverhampton. I felt so honoured to talk alongside the speakers at the after party. I'd love to volunteer again. Just with more experience and confidence which only being involved with more events could achieve.


Comments