Stan Lee - A Celebration of What He meant to Me

It was a massive shock yesterday to read the news that Stan Lee had passed away. Although, he was at the tender age of 95 - which is a miraculous year to get up to. Stan Lee's passing left me feeling rather sad. He was a monumental person to my life as Stan Lee was co-founder of Marvel - a comic book company which I have followed (and are still) every since I saw my first Marvel movie, Iron Man. Not only did Iron Man open my eyes to more mature movies. It was also one of my inspirations of drawing and science. Seeing the character of Tony Stark use his knowledge and craftiness to escape the cave at the beginning of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), encouraged me to use my knowledge to go into science. And yes, I would have never been able to build a full iron armour at the age of 11. But what I could do, was to continue with my Lego and Kinect building toys to build what I wanted. Or invest time into science.


It maybe true that the main part of the companies image and Stan Lee increased fame has been from the 10 years of films. Where Stan Lee would have brief cameos. It wasn't just the films that were in my mind. Stan Lee also wrote the comics of which the MCU was based on. Even though his first ever comic, the fantastic four, was not my favourite series of comics. It was the Iron Man comics, the Spiderman comics and the Thor ones that I would read. Which isn't surprising that a young person such as myself who was deeply impressed by the world of science, engineering, the wonder of space as well as sci-fi show would be so interested into. Additionally being dyslexic, a comic was the first thing that I come comfortably enjoy without much problems. I could look a the pictures and still understand the story.


There was a quote from Stan Lee himself that really stuck with me today as I was read the tributes to the man...


I used to be embarrassed because I was just a comic-book writer while other people were building bridges or going on to medical careers. And then I began to realise: entertainment is one of the most important things in people's lives. Without it they might go off the deep end. I feel that if you are able to entertain people, you are doing a good thing - Stan Lee

To me, Stan Lee was more than just a comic book writer and the co-founder of Marvel. His comics, which based the films, gave me some of the best escape route when I was younger. Whenever I was stressed or lost hope on something, I would always find myself watching Iron Man 2 or Thor. It was because of Stan Lee's characters, along with other programs such as Doctor Who, that encouraged me by down the path of science. I reckon that I might have not been the biomedical science graduate without these pathways. Therefore, I feel mighty grateful that Stan Lee started his comic book career.


Stan Lee was so much apart of the superhero genre that the rival company to Marvel wrote their on comments after hearing of his passing;

It wasn't just DC comics though that left comments. All of the actors/actress of the Marvel films have also given their condolences to the author of most their character. I have only posted a few that I have found on twitter,


Chris Evans - Captain America



Mark Ruffalo - The Incredible Hulk

Ryan Reynolds - Deadpool




Whilst I'm here writing this post, I am also listening to a playlist on YouTube which has numerous Marvel Soundtracks ranging from Iron Man to Avengers Infinity war. Not tot mention the Deadpool's soundtrack which is also within the playlist. Listening to music is something that I do normally to help me isolate myself from the noise of the office or home while I'm working. And a few times, I use music to help me concentrate solely on the writing part of my blog posts. But, today it feels somewhat poignant that I unknowingly choose the Marvel soundtracks as my escape from the real world. It makes me I realise that Stan Lee's legacy will continue within the Marvel Comic Universe. Whenever you watch any of the films, up until this date be that Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Deadpool or any other film branded with the Marvel company's name it will have a Stan Lee cameo. Even the Disney movie Big Hero 6, of which the story was based of the Marvel comic series of the same name, has a Stan Lee cameo at the end of the movie. I just hope that Stan Lee doesn't just disappear.



Not all heroes wear capes... But not all people can say that they became a hero writing heroes.

Comments