My Work Life - Bioscience Outreach & Engagement Symposium

The University of Birmingham's Clock Tower


Oh my, what a day I have just had! Through work, I was able to go to a bioscience outreach and engagement symposium hosted at the University of Birmingham. The Royal Society of Biology also had a partnership with this event which was cool. It was on Wednesday the 14th, last week and the event was mostly aimed towards getting everyone involves biology topics. At the moment of writing this post, I still had the adrenaline buzz from the event. It was amazing to be apart of the big event like that. Because as a biomedical science graduate who just simply fell into the degree. I understand the reason for pushing obscure biology topics. I didn't know about my own degree until it was handed out to me on clearing day.
But in my head, I'm still just a graduate. My head hasn't yet adapted nor got used to the amazing but hectic job I have. Not quite used to the large world of science that is available outside of my small sphere of University studies. Therefore, big events like that one with so many people that I would call professionals are ace to be a part of. It feels weird to call them peers. Yet, that is what they are now. Although, it's starting to feel more comfortable. Especially after speaking to  some people in the pub after the symposium. Cough cough, Jon, Alex and Anna.
Once my head had got over the hype of the event today, I've got so much from it. I've taken all the advice from all the people that I talked to and listened to. But, the main thing that I have realised is - Science Communication and STEM outreach is the thing for me! The penny has just dropped for me on that night. It's something I want to do and this internship at the University of Wolverhampton within STEM Outreach and Public Engagement will hopefully get me there. It's only November, I'm only 1 month in. But, I do feel like I'm in the right career.


At the Symposium on wednesday, there were so many interesting topics to listen to. Too many good ones to be honest. I could only choose four of them to attend which was such a shame... I did like the look of a few others. Though I was impressed with the ones that I picked. Plus, my colleague Ryan had attended a few that I had chosen to miss.

The first talk was titled Engaging with Local Communities and Hard to Reach Audience. It was all about the difficulties of getting to the people who wouldn't normally head into science. Because as much as it is easy to set up an education stall at/outside a science museum, it doesn't mean that the people who you should be targeting will be there to be apart of it. The science stall or event should go to those people rather the other way around. So maybe, an interactive stall at the centre of Queen Square at Wolverhampton or at the pub would be best to target. But, this was something which wasn't difficult to think of. I knew that before I went on the day. If someone does not like science, they are not going to go to a science museum on a Saturday or for a day out.
The best part of this talk was the ideas that these people brought with them. I especially like the classic game of Jenga being used to explain gene editing. It's such a simple link as removing too many blocks, or chucks of 'DNA' in this case would cause the gene to fail. As well as the idea to pitch these events at festivals where people of all ages attend.
Another note worthy point was talking to some who had experiences which talking to the council. It will do me some good with my job.

The second talk was on Digital Outreach and Engagement which was a talk about the use of social media. Before this job and whist a student, I was the social representative of the Jitsu club at Wolverhampton University. So I have got some previous experience of this. But, I felt like I should listen to someone who did it as a job and connect it with science communication. Like I thought, Philippa, spoke about how facebook was the number 1 social media platform. Then how Instragram is great for teenagers/young people and twitter is mostly for the adult audience.
But, I have considered of using Reddit. Which I have started to use as well as watching new science educators on YouTube. I already watch Scishow, Crash Course and Game/Film Theory in every day life. They are fun and give really good science in a really engaging way. But, Philippa also recommended a channel called Acapella Science which I have heard of. Just not watch with great enthusiasm. I feel that they were way too over the top... Or maybe I am getting older with my taste đŸ˜±.

The other two talks were about comedy and building up the little confidence which I have, which to fair these talks were good. They just weren't as impressive compared to the lecture which Alice Roberts had done. I know that not their fault. However, I must say that Alex's talk about building confidence was the better one of the two. It was engaging and you wanted to be apart of it. And... Got to say the sweets swung me too. Can't go wrong with free celebrations!

Professor Alice Roberts on Stage!
But, the absolute best part of the day was listening to Professor Alice Roberts. Her talk was on three animals which changed the world - based upon her new book, The Ten Animals which Changed the World. It wasn't just the topic that intrigued me. It was professor Alice Roberts, the lady herself. I was so excited to read her name on the program. Currently, she is a lecturer and fellow public engagement for the University of Birmingham. Lucky them by the way! But, Alice would probably be more recognised for being on the BBC science programmes. I remember excitedly watching her since 10 years old on programs like Horizon, Coast and Time team (Yes... I was such a weird child). She was a like an idol to me, growing up. I wanted to examine bones and anatomy like her. Or be involved with archaeological digs. Or maybe, just maybe if I tried, I could be a scientist. Professor Alice Roberts was one of the first female scientist I saw, and yeah I was also inspired by Richard Hammond and John Tickle on Brainiac. But, Alice was the first person that I went - wow, she looks like me. 
Her talk on the evolutionary change of wolves to dogs was quite interesting. The fact that Geneticists always change their opinion was most amusing. I did buy all three of her books on Amazon in quick succession - well, I guess the fact that my birthday may have given someone any excuse to buy all three books (Whistling as I write).
It was when I returned to base at my boyfriend's house that the most conversations about the event happened. Everyone was so jealous about the fact that I had seen Alice in the flesh. So even though I would have probably have done with an early night. I was wake until 11pm and Alice was all that I was talking about. 

Comments