World Mental Health Day.

Today is World Mental Health Day, a good time to shine a light on this subject and speak about my own experiences of the subject. It's so important to provide support to people suffering from any form of mental illness and I hope my own experiences on the topic can help some people seek help. Statistically, one in four university students suffer from mental health (Reported by the telegraph: www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/08/11/one-in-four-university-students-suffer-from-mental-health-proble/ ) which is a horrifically high statistic. Too high in some people's ideas. But, personally I think that statistic is sadly accurate. I know so many people in my university course who talked around the topic of feeling low or lonely which sadly corresponds to another statistic - that just over half of university students knew at least 1 (to up to 6) people with mental health. Mental Health can come from anything though;
  • Feeling separated from your old friends
  • Getting bogged down/lost in the amount of coursework
  • Leaving home for the first time
  • Moving to a new country
  • Or in any time of stress
Often these cases are mostly unnoticed and untreated which often causes these minor feeling to turn into a mental illness. This day is especially relevant to the recent conversation of whether universities should put mental health first (I've seen the news report of the guardian about it). There is no doubt on the correct answer in my mind. But I believe universities do put mental health first. It might be more about further advertising the services which are available. No-one should face mental health alone. So I have provided links below in how to find help and some ways in who to find help.


I myself has had a few mental health issues in the past. It was so bad in one point of my life that I had to undergo a course of counselling. Thanks to trusted teachers who spotted the signs. They advised my parents on putting me into counselling which the school provided for free. But, before it was put into motion, the teachers would have 30 minutes conversations in their classroom/office with me. Usually, it would be just about trivial stuff such as TV programmes or talking about science (Which was my favourite subject at the time). It was little things which made a huge difference. Everything now is grand - better even! I no longer visit that part of my life. Though it was only through counselling and over some time that I managed to turn over a new chapter. I now have lots of great friends and a strong family I can talk to. I believe that it made me a stronger person together and even had furthered my interest into science as I literally buried myself into my schoolwork especially, Biology, Chemistry and Physics as well as music. I developed strong empathy, appreciated friendships and have a strong moral code. I now just want to help others in anyway I can. But, I can't really ignore my past. Some days are better than others.


I understand that there are other cases such as loneliness which Chris (my Boyfriend) struggled with towards the start of university. But, anything causing you to feel down is enough reason to get help. If you need help, please get help. I fully understand how hard and aliening it is to go seek help. But, it's worthwhile.


I also ask friends to never give up on another friend. If they are being distant from you, maybe you initiate the conversation, pass over a piece of chocolate or just be there for them. You may not understand to helpful these simple acts of kindness are.


 When to Get Help
  • Generally feeling low
  • Getting more anxious than normal in everyday life
  • Losing interest with life
  • Losing Motivation
Other might also
  • Not care about their appearance
  • Do excess work
  • Not going to class or lectures
  • Have sleeping difficulty
  • Noticeably gain/Lose weight 

Where Can You Get Help?
  1. Talk to someone you trust - whether that someone is a family member, doctor, friend or just a work colleague that first conversation will bring so much relief.
  2. Consider undertaking counselling - Many universities (I know the University of Wolverhampton especially offer it), colleges and schools offer this for free! It will help, I know this through my own experience. My sixth form college arranged for someone to come from outside of the school to speak to me. It was so helpful. You don't even have a counsellor, I was offered a befriender programme when I started counselling
  3. There is online help - services such as 'NHS Choice's Moodzone' (www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/) and Students against Depression (https://www.studentsagainstdepression.org/)
  4. Use phone lines - Samaritans at 116 123 from any phone 

Comments