Film Review: Coco

Film: Coco
Age Certificate: PG
Production Company: Walt Disney Pictures, PIXAR,



What is the Film About? 

Miguel is a young aspiring musician who lives with his family the makes shoes. This wouldn't be too bad but, his family hates everything to do with music. Despite this ban on music within the household, Miguel is determined to be a musician. He especially wants to be like his idol - Ernesto de la Cruz. On the way to his dream, Miguel ends up within the Land of the Dead after several unfortunate events. Along for the journey is Hector, a beloved skeleton searching for his own family in the living world, and Dante the dog, Miguel's faithful spiritual sidekick. They all set off on a poignant mission to find the truth of Miguel's family history.



My Thoughts

I really loved Coco. I believe that Coco is one of the best films that I have watched this year. Not to mention, one of the best emotional PIXAR films since Inside Out and the Toy Story trilogy (In my experience). I haven't felt more emotional connection to a movie before Coco. Some tears where shed towards the end...
… I don't wish to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But, those who haven't seen the movie. It should be on your watchlist. The story was fantastic. A very sensitive plot line which was garnished with a few comedic breaks that were very nice to watch. I especially enjoyed the story of Miguel throughout the film. Though my heart did fall for Dante the dog and for Hector when his past was shown. I think PIXAR managed the plot twist within movie well as I didn't see it coming until a few seconds before.
The characters were quite strong too. The family was done well with the reasons to hating music (although was show to be wrong) was understandable with the Great-great-grandfather apparently leaving the family to do music. Miguel was also done creatively by having his so driven to music. But also doing the opposite of what his family do/believe in. Especially, I loved the character of Hector. His misunderstood background was very rewarding to find out throughout the movie. Plus, his shock twist was done beautifully towards the end of the move.

The film was very sensitive and powerful movie for children. Which isn't out of place for a PIXAR movie recently. But, the decision to follow what you love to do whilst also having a family aspect was quite good concept to have. It is especially personal one for me seen as I'm currently going through an new opportunity away from my family. I can't say that I didn't shed a few tears at the ending of the film.

The film mixed Mexican and Aztec culture with a great story about family. For example, Dante the very charismatic canine companion in this film.  was based on the Mexican hairless dog, otherwise known as the official name of Xoloitzcuintli (An Aztec word which means god or dog). The Mexican hairless dog is a very rare breed of dog dating back 3,500 years and is more fundamental to the Aztec culture. Dante's breed was said to lead the human spirit to the underworld. Hence Dante's ability to simply walk from the living world to the Land of the Dead. Another point of Dante's character is that the animators didn't exaggerate any part of Dante. Normally, the Mexican hairless dog has an abnormally long tongue as well as slight hair on the tail, head, body and ears.



My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐out of 5 stars

Comments