End of University and Reflecting on Graduation!

After three long years, my university degree has officially come to a close. My graduation ceremony took place on the 19th of September. Since then, my BSc biomedical science (Hons) degree certificate has finally graced my education folder. But finishing university feels so unreal. It's started to sinking in that there are some many things that I'll never do again or have come to a close; 
  • I am no longer in full time education. Now, I have to work which to be fair, is not a bad thing.  
  • No longer do I live in university halls. That horribly cramped and lonely room which was home within Essex house. A house that I learnt to love towards my end of my third year..
  • (The best one) No longer do I have to deal with unruly first years within halls. There were so unbelievely naive about university life and took your stuff (in the community kitchen) without asking.  
  • No noice disturption. Some students did not understand sleep! They would go out late and not be considerate coming back. University work and late/disurpted night... Now, that was hard work...
The 'finishing university' thing especially feels strange because to the sudden jump into employment. My new job started just 2 weeks after my graduation ceremony! Which is in anyone's mind is fantastic! And it is. That was my ultimate aim for what I wanted after university. Its just that everyone that I knew from university is currently doing masters. No-one seems to have taken my path and entered employment which slightly feels alienating (Though, I am incredibly proud of Chris (My boyfriend) who is currently studying for his masters in Biomedical Science. I wish him all the best). Not like I wanted to do masters. I personally felt like I had done with education and wanted to move on. Though it is an incredibly strange feeling being a member of staff whilst my friends are students.


... Now Graduation ...

Overall, I just glad that the graduation day ran just like my university years, with only a few minor bumps in the road...


...The day first started like all others waking up. Normally, the first few moments of the morning are so relaxing with the mind blank and peaceful. Not this day! From the very first second, the graduation was engraved into my thoughts. The nerves and adrenaline were begin to be felt. Since the first mentions of graduation in the last year, I've been so daunted about the prospect. So, there was no surprise then when I felt butterflies through my stomach during breakfast. The pre-graduation jitters were so bad that I didn't really taste the cereal in front of me. It wasn't just my graduation though - It was Chris's too. Both me and him had studied the same subject - BSc Biomedical Science (Hons). So the nerves weren't just being felt by me. Due to this, there was a very uneasy silence between me and Chris during breakfast. Usually, there is conversation or few jokes at the table through breakfast. Instead, there was a very strange sensation which I couldn't really describe to anyone. It was almost like the shared knowledge about the importance of today was suffocating our attempts at talking. Although, it wasn't like we didn't try. We talked quite a few times. But all conversations just trailed off. I guess it doesn't get helped by the fact that both me and Chris are quite reserved people. We prefer to have a night in then big night out. I'm not sure how anyone else felt on their graduation day (or any other important events). But, me personally, I hate important dates. I hate getting stressed by a heavy time schedule, hate all of my family into one room and hate being in charge of the family...


… Just thinking about it is making me shudder...


Things started to become more surreal when I'm put on the dress. My nerves grew ever so slightly. I was trying to plan of the events of the day in my head - running through the schedule in my head. Whilst also planning them around the concerns of my ever supportive (but slight impatient) parents. Then suddenly, those concerns stops. In the reflection of mirror I caught a look of myself in my newly brought dress. I had just caught the moment when the red fabric passed over my shoulders. The sight shocks me - freezes me into place. I'm not sure at the length of time that past, I just remember looking at myself. Playing with how the air caught the skirt part of the dress. I was only shock because I rarely wear dresses. Normally, I'm in any kind of trousers or shorts. But in the mirror front, I look more graceful then I have ever done. I brush my curls back before rushing out of the room. Hoping that the car ride would be non-eventful.


The car ride was very quick. I can't say it was non-eventful though. My phone was constantly plagued by messages from my parents. They were travelling from Yorkshire and needed guiding into the city. Glad of the distraction, I was messaging them back. But, I have split parents and they've been split since I can remember. I love them all. But, just having split-parents makes anything that you consider normal in life, a chore. The trouble of having twice close family to book for and double the occasions to plan for is enough. Although due to that fact that my father and mother can't stand being in the same room as each other, I have that to content with today which will be fun. For the meanwhile, my father (with his wife, Sue and my little sister, Elle) was driving the long journey down the M6 at this point. While, my mother was on a train somewhere passing Manchester - Late as always. I was just praying that there wasn't going to be a single incident on any part of the train network. Although, it wouldn't be a hardship if she was trapped at Stoke... (Yeah... I'm not a fan of my mother... Long story).


Another annoyance of having split parents, which will be a problem for today, was the fact I was constantly repeating myself. There were two sets of messages about travelling. All which mimic each other by every message except one mentions the train network, while the other the M6 traffic. So it wasn't long before I was wishing for the sight of Wolverhampton in the windscreen. As well as the end of the day...


... Little did I know that I wouldn't be lying in bed for another 12 hours.
The next part of graduation day was to collect the ceremonial robe and hat. This was the part of the day that actually fascinated me. Did you that another person is assigned to you to help put the robe on you? I didn't! I awkwardly stood in the middle of this room whilst a tailor helped me. To be fair, all he did was place the robe onto my shoulders and push hat upon my head. Though he wasn't just putting it on me. This tailor was being so meticulous with it. There would be no creases in this grown - Not if he could help it anyway. It's was quite bizarre experience to be in - Having this unknown person fuss at your ceremonial clothes.

Although, the fussing was very worthwhile. The gown was spotless on me. Plus, I had paid over £40 to hire this gown and hat for this one day. So I guess I also paid for the tailor to help too. It was super surreal though when I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of the lift. I was ready now! Nothing else to wear or get sorted. Three years of university had come to this! There were no nerves though. Just pure excitement was felt now. I wanted my certificate. This was it! I was ready for graduation.


Just after one, I was inside the Grand Theatre in Wolverhampton. Miraculously, all my family had made it to the place. Though, it was super awkward when my mum and dad met. Last time they saw each other was 12 year ago... It felt like it too. She had also brought with her Richard - her new husband which always helps to stir up the tension. There was no acknowledgement or nothing from either some my parents which I found rather irritating to deal which. Though, that wasn't my problem. So, I decided to leave quite quickly after the meeting to escape and head to my seat. Consequently forcing my mother, Richard, Dad, Sue, Elle to make their way to the dress circle.
It wasn't long at all until the ceremony kicked off and wow, the ceremony went quick. It was such a blur. I only remember that the vice chancellor as well as the dean of Science and Engineering spoke to us. Sadly, I didn't take any of the speech in. I can only fully recall waking up the stairs to the stage and the loud aplause that followed me across the platform. Yet, the applause was dimed. I could just hear it over the sound of the own voice, in my head, stating 'do not fall'. The stage was only a few meters long. But, that walk felt like the longest I had ever walked. The smile from the dean - Nazira Karodia, was the most reasuring, I felt all of my nerves drop as I shuck her hand.  
But, like all things, the walk came to a close. In minutes, I had my certificate in my hand and were walking to my seat. It was surely my proudest moment. I had done that. I had passed my degree with a 2:1.
Graduation and university: Done! 
Next stop: food.

The whole day was so weird for me. Not just because of the serial realisation of graduating and offically finishing university which should be enough. It was also due to my split parents who never come together. They detest each other so much. Unfortunately, I think it badly affected the day. They had to sit close to each other and I think it was a step too far.. Luckily, I wasn't there to see the most of it which I reckon was a blessing. They were sat in the dress circle of the cinema while I was in the stalls below. But, the fact my mother didn't even say bye to me - really affected me.
I didn't want to hold a spotlight to my parents' behavour and I won't. I'm just so glad that I get to work in Wolverhampton because I've moved out from that horrble situation. Bring on the next chapter of my life.

Comments