Book Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Book: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Author: Gail Honeyman

Category: Self-help, Abuse, Adult  



What was the Book About?




The book was around the tale of Eleanor Oliphant - a woman who has had a difficult start in her life. She lives a simple life where her only goal is to be as normal as possible. Eleanor loves her timetabled life, eating the same meals and have it all washed down with some vodka. But, one act of kindness changes Eleanor's timetabled life. It is with this that most of the stress of the book comes from...




My Thoughts

The story was a really powerful one. One originating from a history of emotional abuse by someone that Eleanor should have really been able to trust. The reader really should be advised that there is some hard points in this book. I don't want anyone to get flashback to a/some traumatic events which some people may want to forget. Especially, as this book was mainly focused on the mental health of the lead character Eleanor which does deteriorate.
I don't wish to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it and would like to. But, I feel I should describe the main points. Especially as this is the BIG read choice for my University. Eleanor in the book has had a horrific past with her mother. On one point, the mother purposely sets fire to the family home. Plus, the book runs with the knowledge that Eleanor has been in/out of care for most of her childhood near enough from the fifth chapter onwards. Due to these topic, I found it quite difficult to read at times. It was more so on a personal level as I loved the book and I wanted to work with it. The story was mostly a happy tone to start with Eleanor moving up in her work life and meeting her closest friend. Then suddenly, she goes into depressive spiral within the span of one chapter. I completely understand that this happens in real life. I have experience of this topic in my own life. But, to happen without warning could really open up some history. It did with me.
Although, the author has really written a strong story. Fair play on her for bringing a tremendously difficult topic such as counselling as well as emotional abuse to people who might have been lucky to experience it. I have to say that the counselling section was done with extreme sensitivity. Though, it felt like the author had gone through a similar experience. Just because I've also had some counselling in the past and it followed the same format.


Given what's happened in the book and what has happened in my own life, I can't give this book more than 3 stars. It was a good storyline. But, the connection with my own life threw up some problems. I couldn't connect with the character.




Rating: ★★★

Comments