So Many Changes, Such Little Time

It has been a horribly long time since I have last managed to write a blog post. I am sorry about it. But, there has been several very big exciting and important events which have all happened within the last two week. They have quite literally happened one after another with only a few days to organise. All events are/were incredibly exciting (Are as some of these event have yet to really finish)! All the events are ones which are shockingly major events in any person's life. It has took until now to distance myself from them and be able to reflect on what has actually happened. 

The first big event which happened was on the 14th of this month. I attended a job interview at my university - The University of Wolverhampton. This was not the first interview within my old university so I wasn't really expecting much. Just the usual routine of going to the top floor of the science building, sitting in an uncomfortably nervous way on the leather seats and bumbling my through the questions (which I should have really mastered since I had practiced frequently and had some many interviews by then). Then coming away disappointed. 

But, this job interview was for a role which was more in my area. I had been waiting months for this job due to the tip off from my one of my lecturers. The job interview was for a position within the STEM outreach team. A team that I able very comfortable with. I had become a STEM ambassador just this January. It was mostly because for my last year honours project and due to the project most of the decisions had gone through this team. As well as that, there was a total of 5 positions which they wanted to fill. So there was a one in five chance to get it! 

So I went with determination. I wanted this job. I had to get this job...

Within hours of leaving that small interview room and arriving at my boyfriend's house, I got a phone call! It was from the university. More importantly, from the lecturers' phone number who had taken the interview. I had successfully got the job! Which I couldn't accept quick enough.
The job is named 'STEM outreach and Public engagement intern' and is based in the university. The only bad point is that this role will be a temporary job, just for the year. Hopefully while I'm doing this job, I will be able to get the skills and experience needed for a job in this field. 

For those who don't know or not from the UK, STEM is an organisation focused around the awareness, education and career advice of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. This organisation is mostly for young people aged 5 through to 18. This job is based on that principle, just at the level of education around high school and college. The role is to encourage and advise people to go and complete further education at university. While I do the job, I hope to comment on the events which I have organised and the best parts of the job on this blog. 

The main reason that the new job was more of an event than it would be normally was because of the location. Before the writing of this post, I was living at my parents house. That house is near the small town in West Yorkshire - Huddersfield. If you are not from the UK - the distance between the two is a good 70 miles. So clearly some moving had to occur...

… And yes, this was the next major event. Moving. I have moved from my parents' house to a house that was much closer to my old university. My boyfriend's house... When I say my boyfriend's house, it is more his parents' house. He lives close to Wolverhampton and there is a fairly comfortable travel connection to work. His parents were so understanding what was happening and graciously offered to take me in whilst I worked. Just as long as I contributed to the household. I had offered to do that anyway. At the time of the move, I was still in Wolverhampton due to another big event in the week. Therefore, I had to only ask for my most important items and my parents had to deliver this... 

... This was the bad part of all this planning, because the only day which could be that 'moving day' was the 19th. My graduation day of all days! I was moving house on my graduation day, I can't think of anything more stressful.

So obviously, the next major event was the graduation ceremony. Now this one I did know was happening (apart from the moving part of the day). I had gotten all of my close family tickets, the gown rental was arranged and the date was sorted with my parents. But due to the sudden job interview and quick acceptance, I hadn't got my outfit sorted! My family and I had to rush out to the local shopping center (Another story to tell at a later time). Graduation took place as planned on 19th. This story along with the tale of the rush around White Rose Shopping Centre deserves to have a post of itself. 

Nevertheless, I can't wait for the 1St of October when I start job at the University of Wolverhampton.

Comments