My Limbo Period After University

It's been a bit over two months since I attended my final exam of university course - Biomedical Science, finished university at Wolverhampton and moved back up to my parents' house in West Yorkshire. All which have been a big stocks to the system. I've got used to the routines of university as well as being independent, earning your own money and making your own decisions without anyone's input. But now that I'm back within my parents' home, there has been quite a bit of adjusting time. Having to manage the commitments your parents want of you whilst trying to organise your own plans.

But even though I've finished all the university coursework, examination and got my final grade of 2:1. University hasn't finished with me, yet. I've still got my graduation ceremony to look forward to, which for some reason, is in the middle of September.

This means that for the last two months I've been stuck in a weird limbo period where it feels like I haven't fully completed my university experience. Yet, there is no more of that university routine. This feeling are being made worse by seeing posts from my school and college friends having their own graduation ceremony. (I am pleased for them. It just reminds me how much I want my graduation ceremony and finish this part of my life)

Instead of feeling like university is complete. I just have a horrible lot of free-time which is being used searching/applying for job, going to interviews, organising the tickets and stupidly minor things towards graduation ceremony (How is renting your graduation gown so expensive?!). But somehow after using my time like this... I'm frustrating my parents.

Yes, even though I have managed to go through university to the miraculous grade of 2:1, apply to well over 20 jobs and buying them tickets for the graduation ceremony. My Dad and stepmum are still finding reasons to complain. A few of them are the common complaints - the cleanliness of the bedroom, the use of my free-time just being use on my gaming consoles and not spending more time with my younger sister. I don't mind these, they are fair comments. But it's their new complaint which is starting to get on my nerves

Their new criticism is about my supposed the lack of effort on getting a job.

Now, this complaint did just start as a mild understandable comment in mid July. After the first lot of job applications began to return as negative. I had lost my confidence with applying to jobs. I had sent out loads of applications, yet every single one wasn't successful. It's difficult for me to simply apply to jobs knowing someone better could take it. So I took their comments and no matter unsure I felt about my skills, I applied to every one I could.

But now, it's the end of August. My lack of a job is a constant topic of conversation at the dinner table as well as criticism from my parents to the family relations who come. This is despite getting a few positive replies to my application. Job interviews at Public Health England (PHE) and at my own university - all which were sadly unsuccessful. So, my annoyance with their comments is based on the belief that it's not like I'm not trying.

I wish they could understand my efforts and see that I'm trying to get a job. Right at this moment, I'm waiting on a reply for three job applications and got several job alerts set up on various companies' websites - applying to all I can. I'm even applying to internships at my university which is another bone to pick with my parents (but maybe that subject is for another time). Obviously if I don't get a job in a scientific position soon, I'll have to look elsewhere. I understand it's not an ideal world for my parents. But, their comments aren't nice. I don't want to be unemployed for large length of time.

I did wish that my first post in made wasn't going to be about a slightly negative subject. But, it was the main thing that I have been experiencing after university. I had been wondering if it was a common part of growing up. I just wanted to share the experience, hoping that people realise that it can take time to get a job after university. In addition, bringing the conversation of job applications and 'wants you're next plan' at the dinner table or when you first see the person might not result in the answer desired. All it does is make feeling worse.

Comments